Want to get your hands on the Top Test Taking Strategies? We have just the perfect compilation of the best test-taking strategies for college and school students. Test-Taking strategies are beneficial methods following which a student can improve their performance in exams. These will not only help you in your academic exams but competitive exams as well which require you to be more skilled than hardworking.
So, if your exam is near and you need a set of strategies to help you ace your test, you can use the tips and tactics shared in this article. You can use these strategies for Multiple Choice Questions, MCQs, Quizzes, Entrance exams, etc.
These will guide you so that your teachers will be impressed by your performance and you will be confident about the results after you are done with your test. There are various test-taking strategies and we have listed all of them. Make sure to choose the ones that work best for you. Read ahead.
- What is Test Taking Strategies?
- Standardized Test Taking Strategies for Students
- Test Taking Strategies Multiple Choice
- Test Taking Strategies For College Students
- Techniques for employing the correct test-taking strategies pdf
- FAQs on Study Skills: Effective Test Taking Strategies for Kids/Students
Test-taking strategies are an array of techniques that help individuals increase their confidence while preparing for and giving an exam. They are easy to implement but you have to be consistent with them. By implementing these, you have the chance to score higher on your exams and create a good impression on your teachers.
These strategies also make you feel at ease while taking the exam. It helps you feel less anxious because of the unpredictability of exams. These tips will prepare you for all those obstacles so that when you are finally sitting for your exam, you have sufficient experience to be your best version. Read ahead to know the test taking tips & strategies.
Want to know the standard test taking strategies that will prepare you for any kind of exam you are sitting for? Follow the ones mentioned below:
1. Sincerely Study Exam Materials
Your teachers must have mentioned the topics which the exam will cover. Your first job is to spend a good amount of time studying the material thoroughly. If you want help with studying, here are some tips:
- Time your study sessions and the breaks in between.
- Avoid distractions while studying.
- Take breaks occasionally.
- Take notes for future revision.
2. Attend Course Preparation Coaching
Course preparation coaching centers prepare students for upcoming exams. You can consider attending these courses because they will fortify you for any kind of difficulties that might surface while sitting for real exams. They not only teach you the material thoroughly, but they also take several mock tests which contain predictable exam questions.
You can find out about offline coaching centers but there are several online courses which you can attend too if you want to save time for self-study. Schools and Colleges often offer courses tailor-made for their own students.
3. Test yourself or sit for mock tests
Even though you don’t attend coaching, you must test your knowledge by yourself or sit for separate mock tests to strengthen your grip on what you have learned. These are demos for your actual exam. In a manner, it also increases your concept and familiarises you with the pattern of questions that can come.
4. Relax during the night before the exam
The night before an exam is not the time to be studying or cramming. You should always leave the night before the exam to finally revise and relax. Limit distractions and meditate if possible. Try to recall all that you have learned in an organized manner.
5. Arrive early at the exam venue
On the day of the exam, it is best if you reach the venue early and can relax before starting your test. During all your exams, try to arrive at least 20 minutes early so you have time to organize your exam materials and mentally prepare yourself for the exam.
6. Leave the difficult questions for the last
Go through all the questions of the paper before starting to answer. Then mark the difficult ones and if possible leave them for later as it will consume time and effort for you to answer those. Take on the questions which seem easier to you at first and complete them as soon as possible. Then move on to the thought-provoking indirect ones and answer them calmly.
7. Read the question several times
You should always read the question repeatedly and try to make sense of what it is really asking before selecting the right answer. This will help you avoid an unnecessary mess in your answer script when you get the question wrong.
8. Locate the keyword
Each question has a keyword that can lead you to access the bigger section of memory that is stored. When you locate that keyword, you can draft a number of points sequentially on a rough page and describe them in your answer sheet. This is a very convenient method for students. It helps them to not lose track of their thoughts in the middle. Be sure that your answer revolves around the keyword.
9. Use Rough Paper
A rough paper saves you so much trouble. It helps you draft pointers, do side calculations, and help you note down your thoughts before writing them for real in the actual answer sheet. You can scribble maths formulas too which will aid you during your exam.
10. Ask Questions when in doubt
If you have doubts involving a question, you can always ask the invigilator to help you with it. Oftentimes, questions are misprinted or need clarification. You will not only do yourself well but other students might also get the chance to not dwell in confusion about the question.
11. Revise before submission
We all know how relieved we feel after finishing an exam but hold on, there is another important step. You should always double-check your answers and see if there are any errors. Humans are prone to mistakes and you should always give your answer script a final revision before submitting it.
Do Refer: Why is education important
If you are sitting for MCQ-type exams, then it is best if you modify your expectations. It is wrong to expect that MCQs are easy and not time-consuming. Some of them might be tricky and take time, effort, and patience to be solved. Here are some of the test taking strategies multiple choice questions need.
- Go through the question
- If the question is lengthy, separate the subject and the verb as it helps you concentrate on the question’s main part.
- Read the options carefully.
- Do not try to rationalize each answer. Just go through them.
- After you have solved the question, focus on the correct answer. Re-read your question so that you can eliminate other options without a doubt.
- Allot 2-3 minutes per question.
- Underline the affirmative and negative words in the question. This will help you arrive at the answer.
- Cut short your choice range by eliminating the options that cannot be right from any point of view.
- Don’t be bogged down if you cannot answer a question. Move on to the next one.
Here are some of the test-taking strategies for young adults who are struggling through college and trying to figure out the right way to score well. They are:
- Attend college classes regularly. Unlike school, lectures matter more than books.
- Avoid cramming as college exams contain a lot of complex questions that need conceptual knowledge. You will get nowhere just by rote learning.
- Eliminate potential distractions from your study area.
- Set a schedule and stick to it.
- Summarise lectures and notes.
- Go through old exams or previous years’ question papers.
- Practise mind mapping.
- Form a study group. It comes in very handy.
- Draw diagrams and take the help of visual imagery to remember study materials.
- Find out in detail about the type of question – essay-type or MCQ and the options you will get. It will help you to prepare yourself accordingly.
- Teach what you have learned to someone or discuss it.
- Revise whenever you get time.
- Highlight important parts in your notes.
- Rest during the night before the exam.
- Hydrate yourself and eat well.
Also, Know About Teachers Appreciation Week
Here are some of the best tips which will guide you to take the right test-taking strategies based on your merit and capability-
- Choose the strategies using which you do not feel overwhelmed
Some of these preparation hacks may not suit your way of studying or preparing. So, you should always go with the ones that don’t make you feel exhausted or overwhelmed. Some of them are absolute musts but most are tailor-made for studious students who can consistently learn and drive themselves to stick to the schedule. Take a break if and when you feel burnt out.
- Communicate with your peers and teachers seeking better strategies
You can always rely on a tried and tested strategy more than the ones which are mentioned here. You stand a chance to learn a lot of hacks and tricks and score better because of the knowledge you gain from experienced individuals.
- Find out your areas of improvement
After giving a test, find out the areas where you have room for improvement. Seize the opportunity and work on it so that you are better at it by the next time you sit for it.
FAQs on Study Skills: Effective Test Taking Strategies for Kids/Students
1. Why are test taking strategies important?
Ans: Test Taking Strategies are important as they increase your chances to score better and approach your syllabus in a smarter way.
2. What are some of the good test-taking strategies?
Ans: Studying and organizing everything beforehand is the best test-taking strategy. Attending classes, summarising notes, and relaxing the day before exams are some of the others.
3. What should you reach 5 minutes before a test?
Ans: You should organize your exam materials such as board, pen, pencil, scale, etc, and keep a calm mind.
Hope this article catered to all the information you need on Test Taking Strategies. You have the freedom to choose the ones that work best for you. You can find more test-related articles on our website onlinestemdegrees.com. Let us know if these strategies helped you ace your test!